My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://frocksandfroufrou.com
and update your bookmarks.

Thursday, December 4, 2008

The Slimming Stripe

Dress: Gasby (57 Bridge Road, Richmond) - no website
Shoes: Zoe Wittner www.wittner.com.au
Now, I'm the first to admit that the number one fat-girl fashion rule (thou shalt not wear horizontal stripes for it maketh you look big) is bollocks, but I think there might just be something in the whole vertical stripes make you look slimmer thing.
I found this dress at one of those ridiculous little asian-clothing shops along Bridge Road in Melbourne. It stopped me dead when I saw it in the window, and I never dreamt that they would actually have it in a size that - albeit barely - would fit. Thank God for my little sister, who insisted I go in and check, and then again insisted that I buy it when I was vacillating over whether or not it was wearable.
It is absurdly tight, but I love it, and I'm often getting comments on it. It's actually an ingenious style - the dress zips up first before it buttons, so even though my generous thighs and bust are straining the seams the button closure doesn't gape. Hurrah!

7 comments:

Boomgate said...

Gosh, I love your shoes. You always seem to have the cutest flat shoes :)

Daisy said...

Wow - that is a great dress! Definitely very slimming, too. Love the shoes too.

Amanda said...

I want one! I really want one.....

C said...

Actually that dress flatters you so much and doesn't appear at all to be too tight. Excellent work!

I know what it's like to wear something and know how tight it is but I think people don't even notice if it looks good enough.

Unknown said...

Oh, thanks Sarah & Frumpy! I bought them on impulse after spending an agonising day in ill-fitting shoes. They're a lovely soft leather.

Amanda - I was in Gasby a month or so ago, and they still have the dress so if you're up for a little shopping trip...

Thankyou, Christine. I always a little self conscious in dresses that feel too tight, so it's nice to hear that it looks good!

tristessa_xo said...

Loooooove it! And how cool would it be if more dresses (and shirts, for that matter) zipped AND buttoned? The boob-area gape is the bane of my existence!

Amanda said...

Thanks Lilli, but i'm outer east with 2 small children - too much of a mission for me!